USB mass storage and ARM cache coherency

FUJITA Tomonori fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp
Tue Mar 2 07:11:33 EST 2010

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 10:31:03 +0530
James Bottomley <James.Bottomley at HansenPartnership.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-02-28 at 11:14 +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > >
> > > I guess we could also set PG_arch_1 in the DMA API as well, to avoid the
> > > unnecessary D cache flushing when clean pages get mapped into userspace.
> >
> > That's an interesting thought for us too. When doing I$/D$ coherency, we
> > have to fist flush the D$ and then invalidate the I$. If we could keep
> > track of D$ and I$ separately, we could avoid the first step in many
> > cases, including the DMA API trick you mentioned.
> >
> > I wonder if it's time to get a PG_arch_2 :-)
>
> Sorry to be a bit late to the party (on holiday), but I/D coherency is
> supposed to be taken care of using flush_cache_page in the memory
> mapping routines.

powerpc does that? To be exact, powerpc doesn't need
flush_cache_page() and handles I/D coherency in the pte modification
code. powerpc uses PG_arch_1 to avoid unnecessarily handling I/D
coherency. Seems that IA64 does the same trick with PG_arch_1.

> But the point of all of this is that I cache invalidation doesn't appear
> anywhere in the I/O path ... so  if we're getting I/D incoherency,
> there's some problem in the mm code (or there's a missing arch
> assumption ... like I cache gets moved in more aggressively than we
> expect).  Parisc is very sensitive to I/D incoherency, so we'd notice if
> there were a serious generic problem here.

I'm not sure that there are some problems in the mm or common code. Is
this ARM's implementation issue? (Of course, the usb stack and the
driver's misuse of the DMA API needs to be fixed too).