[GIT PULL] pxa: patches for next merge window

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Mon Mar 1 04:48:21 EST 2010

On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 10:39:27AM +0100, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> Hello Russell,

> > The 'devel' branch contains individual patches, and is regularly re-
> > generated from individual sub-branches.
> >
> > The 'devel-stable' branch (internal) contains work pulled from other
> > people, and the 'stable' bit means that I once pulled, I don't wind
> > the tree back at any point.  This gets merged into 'devel' as the last
> > merge.
> >
> > Your original set of commits were merged into 'devel-stable' and has
> > had other trees merged on top of those.
> >
> > You've destroyed your original commits, so this calls into question my
> > entire 'devel-stable' branch.
> >
> > I've still not decided what to do about this.  I'll ask Linus to merge
> > most of the 'devel' stuff without 'devel-stable' merged into mainline
> > to move stuff forward - this means _no_ _one's_ git work will be merged
> > through my tree, at least initially.
> >
> > However, I'm putting 'devel-stable' on hold; I'll let the other ARM git
> > maintainers discuss this and work out what they're going to do about
> > this mess.  One solution is to destroy the 'devel-stable' branch in
> > its entirety, and get everyone to resend all their pull requests.
> > That's *not* nice.
> >
> > I also won't be pulling any more git trees until this issue is resolved -
> > it would be stupid to pull more git trees on top of 'devel-stable' at
> > this point.
>
> In my eyes there are three different possibilities for the future:
>
>  a) every tree requested for pulling has to keep constant.
>  b) rmk treats the submaintainer trees as his topic branches that are
>     regularly merged into devel.
>  c) Linus pulls directly from submaintainers.
>
> I think c) isn't nice (and AFAIK Linus would request a)).
>
> I'd prefer a).  And if a submaintainer "doesn't behave" next time either
> both trees are pulled making the arm tree as ugly as are the others
> sometimes or the second pull request is declined if Russell notes it
> early enough (maybe supported by some script work).

I've added Linus to this, so he's aware of what's going on, since if
I do merge Eric's latest tree, Linus will see duplicate commits from
me and I don't wish to have one of Linus' responses to that. ;)

The general rule is that once you've asked someone to pull your tree,
that's it, the commits are cast in stone.  It doesn't matter who you
ask to pull your tree.