Possible methods for the kernel to terminate a process

Xiachen Dong xiachendong at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 22 15:40:35 EDT 2010

Hi,

We have a quick question. Besides sending signals, are there any other ways for the kernel to terminate a process?

We have such question because we try to kill a user space process by the shell command kill and we cannot kill it probably because it is in an un-interruptible sleep/wait.

However, we still wish to be able to kill the user space process under this circumstance. To our knowledge of the kernel, if the kernel wants to kill a process when special event such as exception happens, it usually sends a signal to the process. We really cannot think of any other methods for a kernel to terminate a process.

Can anyone provide some hints on this? Is rebooting the machine the only solution to the problem?

Thanks,

Xiachen