Samsung SoCs naming rules

Eric Miao eric.y.miao at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 06:36:13 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 6:00 PM, Kyungmin Park <kmpark at infradead.org> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Now Samsung SoCs doesn't have any special rules include chip name.
>
> Historically s5pc100 is successor form s3c6410 and this chip from
> s3c2410 series.
> on the other hand, s5pc110 (cortex a8) and s5pc64xx (armv6) is
> different from previous chips.

Don't be shy, Samsung is not the only vendor messes the naming of their
SoCs. Marvell might have done a better job on this :-)

> So it's not good idea grouping with the prefix. e.g., s5p series. and
> the reason to create the samsung.

My guess is your s5p will focus more on Cortex-A8 (or A9 possibly),
even with subsequent processors. And only s5pc100 is an exception,
that's fine, you can still put s5pc100 into mach-s3c6410, and people
will know it's actually closer to s3c6410. And other SoCs will share the
common s5p prefix.