gpiolib and sleeping gpios

Uwe Kleine-König u.kleine-koenig at pengutronix.de
Fri Jun 18 01:27:09 EDT 2010

Hi Ryan,

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 09:47:59AM +1200, Ryan Mallon wrote:
> Then all drivers can just call gpio_(set/get)_value and any attempts to
> use sleeping gpios from an non-sleeping context will be caught by the
> might_sleep_if check. Is there something I am missing about this?
The downside is that you change the semantic of gpio_get_value (and
gpio_set_value I assume?).  But as calling gpio_get_value with a gpio
that gpio_cansleep() is an error anyhow, so I think that's OK.  The big
pro is that the API is simplified.

> I can prepare a patch which combines the non-sleeping and sleeping
> variants, but I wanted to check that I'm not missing something
> fundamental first.
I will happily look at such a patch and give my comments.

Best regards
Uwe