Request review of device tree documentation

Jamie Lokier jamie at shareable.org
Wed Jun 16 07:41:51 EDT 2010

Mike Rapoport wrote:
> >Which of course raises the question:  How does the Linux community view
> >such SoC vendors?  Are they embraced and eagerly supported, or (either
> >openly or secretly) viewed as a nuisance?  How does the widespread
> >objection to something that such vendors "would make extensive use of"
> >mesh with that view?
>
> I cannot tell for the entire Linux community, but from what I know, such
> vendors are not much welcomed in the community.

As far as I can tell, many such vendors don't have much interest in
contributing to the Linux community either.  They use Linux code, glue
in their black-box binary modules and/or HALs, and engage poorly with
the community.  It is not just end-product makers, but upstream
component, board and SDK manufacturers too.

-- Jamie