Request review of device tree documentation

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Mon Jun 14 01:23:45 EDT 2010

[cc'ing linux-arm-kernel]

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 11:59 PM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt
<benh at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-06-12 at 19:39 -1000, Mitch Bradley wrote:
>
>> Minimally, OFW needs to own some memory that the kernel won't steal.
>> OFW on ARM is position-independent, so it can be tucked up at the top of memory
>> fairly easily.
>
> Amen :-)
>
>> To call back into OFW, the virtual mapping for that memory needs to be
>> reestablished.
>
> That's a nasty part unless ARM provides a usable "real mode" which
> allows MMIO accesses, which I -think- it does. I don't remember the
> details that much.
>
> Maybe we could define a binding tho where we could somewhat standardize
> the portion of the virtual address space used by OF. IE. from the top of
> the address space down to the max size it requires. It might require
> some games to play with the fixmap on ARM side tho...
>
> Another option would be something more RTAS-like where a specific call
> can be done by the OS itself to 'relocate' (not physically but virtually
> in this case) OF into the OS preferred location. Be prepared to have
> multiple of these called though as kernels kexec into one another.

This sounds reasonable to me.

>> Or perhaps the MMU and caches can be turned off for the duration of the
>> callback.
>> I don't have the details of ARM MMUs and caches reloaded into my head
>> yet.  Maybe next week...
>
> Forgot most of it too. Looks like it's about time I read the ARM
> architecture again, this sounds like fun :-)
>
> BTW. I notice no ARM list is CCed on this discussion ... maybe we should
> fix that ?

cc'ing linux-arm-kernel in all my replies

>> Also, for debugging, OFW typically needs access to a UART.  If the OS is
>> using the UART, it's often possible for OFW to use it just by turning off interrupts and
>> polling the UART.
>
> That might not be a big deal unless the OS plays with the clocks which
> it -does- tend to do. It might be worth defining some kind of property
> OF puts in the UART node to inform the OS not to play games and keep
> that one enabled, though that could affect power management, so might
> need to be conditional on some nvram option (debug-enabled?)
>
>> The use case for a dynamic device tree is not compelling.
>
> Right, generally not, except in virtualized environments (see my other
> response).
>
> Now, the -one- thing that WILL happen if we have something like OF that
> remains alive is of course vendors will try to use it as a HAL. You know
> as well as I do that it -will- happen :-)
>
> There's two reasons that typically happen. The misguided "good" one
> which is to think it helps keeping a single/more maintainable kernel
> image by stuffing the horrible details of nvram, rtc, etc.. access,
> poweron/off GPIOs, clock control, etc... in there. The "bad" one which
> is to stash code you don't want to show the source code for (codec
> control, etc...).
>
> This is bad for so many reasons that I don't think I need to even start
> listing them :-) So that's something that will have to be strongly kept
> in check and fought I suspect.

With a stout 2x4 if needed.  I'm going to try very hard to dissuade
this.  Yet another reason why I only what one method for passing the
device tree into the kernel.

> To some extent, in fact, doing that sort of stuff in OF or even in RTAS
> like we do on power is even worse than ACPI-like tables. At least with
> those tables, the interpreter is in the operating system, thus can run
> with interrupts on, scheduling on, etc... With RTAS, or client interface
> calls, you'll end up with potentially huge slumps of CPU time "lost"
> into the bowels of the firmware.

Unfortunately, on the newer ARM SoCs, binary blobs are all over the
place anyway.  :-(

g.