[RFC,PATCH 1/2] Add a common struct clk

Ben Dooks ben-linux at fluff.org
Sun Jun 13 18:23:49 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 03:57:10PM +0800, Jeremy Kerr wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> > > Platforms can enable the generic struct clock through
> > > CONFIG_USE_COMMON_STRUCT_CLK. In this case, the clock infrastructure
> > > consists of a common struct clk:
> >
> > What do people think of just changing everyone who is currently using
> > clk support to using this new implementation?
>
> I think it'd be too-big a task to take on for a single change; we'd be better
> off allowing the two implementations concurrently. Also, I'd say that there
> are many platforms that will never need the new code, so no need to change
> them over.
~
Ok, agreed on that.

> > > struct clk {
> > >
> > > 	const struct clk_ops	*ops;
> > > 	unsigned int		enable_count;
> > > 	struct mutex		mutex;
> >
> > I'm a little worried about the size of struct clk if all of them
> > have a mutex in them. If i'm right, this is 40 bytes of data each
> > clock has to take on board.
>
> Yeah, I see your concern about adding a mutex per clock, but I do think it's
> the best solution. Of course, if there's a better way to do it, I'm happy to
> try it out.

You also need a warning that even if it protects the clock, it may not
protect any access to the hardware implementing it.

> I believe we need to ensure that clocks are enabled when clk_enable returns,
> so we'll need some mechanism for waiting on the thread doing the
> enable/disable. Since (as you say) some clocks may take 100s of microseconds
> to enable, we'll need a lock that we can hold while sleeping.

Well, mutexes give us that, whilst enabling we hold the mutex.

> We could use a global mutex for all clocks, but that would complicate the
> interface by requiring non-locking versions of enable/disable, to allow
> recursive enable/disable of parent clocks. Also, we'd lose any parallelism
> possible in clock initialisation (we want boot to be fast, right?)

More to the point, we need it to _work_ fast. It isn't just boot time.

> Without all the debug stuff, it looks like a mutex is 12 bytes on UP, 20 on
> SMP. That brings the maximum possible overhead to 26kB/43kB. More tolerable,
> but not great.
>
> You know what would be awesome? if we could put platform-specific code in
> their own sections and the discard the ones we know we won't need after boot.
> But that's a discussion for another day...
>
> > >        int             (*enable)(struct clk *);
> >
> > still think that not passing an bool as a second argument is silly.
>
> Still don't :D

Pfft.

> > > +struct clk {
> > > +	const struct clk_ops	*ops;
> > > +	unsigned int		enable_count;
> > > +	struct mutex		mutex;
> > > +};
> >
> > how about defining a nice kerneldoc for this.
>
> Shall do. I've also decided to un-inline the base API, which means that I can
> use all of the existing prototypes in clk.h, which means the kerneldoc is
> shared too.

Ok, I was going to suggest that anyway.

> > > +#define INIT_CLK(name, o) \
> > > +	{ .ops = &o, .enable_count = 0, \
> > > +		.mutex = __MUTEX_INITIALIZER(name.mutex) }
> >
> > how about doing the mutex initinitialisation at registration
> > time, will save a pile of non-zero code in the image to mess up
> > the compression.
>
> I've just yesterday added the following to my tree, to allow dynamic
> initialisation:
>
> static inline void clk_init(struct clk *clk, const struct clk_ops *ops)
> {
> 	clk->ops = ops;
> 	clk->enable_count = 0;
> 	mutex_init(&clk->mutex);
> }
>
> So we can do this either way.

the above is in my view better.

> > ~> +struct clk_ops {
> >
> > > +       int             (*enable)(struct clk *);
> > > +       void            (*disable)(struct clk *);
> > > +       unsigned long   (*get_rate)(struct clk *);
> > > +       void            (*put)(struct clk *);
> > > +       long            (*round_rate)(struct clk *, unsigned long);
> > > +       int             (*set_rate)(struct clk *, unsigned long);
> > > +       int             (*set_parent)(struct clk *, struct clk *);
> > > +       struct clk*     (*get_parent)(struct clk *);
> >
> > should each clock carry a parent field and the this is returned by
> > the get parent call.~~
>
> I've been debating dropping the get_parent and set_parent ops entirely,
> actually; setting a parent seems to be quite specific to hardware (you have to
> know that a particular clock can be a parent of another clock), so it seems
> like something that we shouldn't expose to drivers through this API. For the
> code that knows the hardware, it can probably access the underlying clock
> types directly.

Not really, and it is in use with extant drivers, so not easily
removable either.

> However, I see that something in the samsung code uses clk_get_parent for what
> seems like a sane purpose, so have left them in for now. Or could this be done
> differently?

nope, and I really like this method.

> > > +static inline int clk_enable(struct clk *clk)
> > > +{
> > > +	int ret = 0;
> > > +
> > > +	if (!clk->ops->enable)
> > > +		return 0;
> > > +
> > > +	mutex_lock(&clk->mutex);
> > > +	if (!clk->enable_count)
> > > +		ret = clk->ops->enable(clk);
> > > +
> > > +	if (!ret)
> > > +		clk->enable_count++;
> > > +	mutex_unlock(&clk->mutex);
> > > +
> > > +	return ret;
> > > +}
> >
> > So we're leaving the enable parent code now to each implementation?
> >
> > I think this is a really bad decision, it leaves so much open to bad
> > code repetition, as well as something the core should really be doing
> > if it had a parent clock field.
>
> I'm tempted to go in either direction - either no [sg]et_parent in the clk
> API, or add a parent to struct clk, but first I'd need to get up to speed on
> the external uses of the clk's parent. Want to catch me on IRC to discuss?

Possibly, still screwed on timezone.

> > ~> +static inline void clk_disable(struct clk *clk)
> >
> > > +{
> > > +	if (!clk->ops->enable)
> > > +		return;
> >
> > so if we've no enable call we ignore disable too?
>
> Typo; this should be "if (!clk->ops->disable)". Will fix for the next
> revision.

yes, pointing that out.

> > also, we don't keep an enable count if this fields are in use,
> > could people rely on this being correct even if the clock has
> > no enable/disable fields.
> >
> > Would much rather see the enable_count being kept up-to-date
> > no matter what, given it may be watched by other parts of the
> > implementation, useful for debug info, and possibly useful if
> > later in the start sequence the clk_ops get changed to have this
> > field.~
>
> Checking for the ops first allows us to skip the mutex acquire, but I'm happy
> either way.

erm, sorry, yes, you can check for them before mutex. any chages
should be done with mutex held.

> > > +~	mutex_lock(&clk->mutex);
> > > +
> > > +	if (!--clk->enable_count)
> > > +		clk->ops->disable(clk);
> > > +
> > > +	mutex_unlock(&clk->mutex);
> > > +}
> > > +
> > > +static inline unsigned long clk_get_rate(struct clk *clk)
> > > +{
> > > +	if (clk->ops->get_rate)
> > > +		return clk->ops->get_rate(clk);
> > > +	return 0;
> > > +}
> > > +
> > > +static inline void clk_put(struct clk *clk)
> > > +{
> > > +	if (clk->ops->put)
> > > +		clk->ops->put(clk);
> > > +}
> >
> > I'm beginging to wonder if we don't just have a set of default ops
> > that get set into the clk+ops at registration time if these do
> > not have an implementation.
>
> Using default ops would mean a couple of things:
>
> 1) we can no longer mark the real ops as const; and
> 2) we can no longer avoid the hard-to-predict indirect branch

ok, how about people have to mark these as a default non op in their
clock structure, and then error if they try and register a clock with
null ops. anyone changing these to NULL later deserves all the pain and agony
they get.

> > this means that either any driver that is using a multi-parent clock
> > has to deal with the proper enable/disable of the parents (this is
> > is going to lead to code repetition, and I bet people will get it
> > badly wrong).
> >
> > I belive the core of the clock code should deal with this, since
> > otherwise we end up with the situation of the same code being
> > repeated throughout the kernel.
>
> I see the concern here, but I'll defer this one until we've decided on whether
> or not the parents should be exposed through the API.

Ok, let's find out what other people think too. I'm not the only user.

BTW, we do need to do some cleanups to the samsung code, we've a few
places where we explicitly name clocks. Discussion for seperate
thread.

--
Ben (ben at fluff.org, http://www.fluff.org/)

  'a smiley only costs 4 bytes'