Pending patches for s5pc110

Ben Dooks ben-linux at fluff.org
Fri Jun 11 02:23:00 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 02:38:56PM +0900, Kyungmin Park wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Ben Dooks <ben-linux at fluff.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 01:25:18PM +0900, Kyungmin Park wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> No comments mean it's okay then we will prepare the patches to git pull.
> >
> > No. no comments means that people either haven't had time to sort
> > them out or in fact ON HOLIDAY.
>
> but you usually missed our patches frequently. with this reason our
> patches can't merge within proper merge window.

I belive the last set where either being posted just-before or during
the last merge window. We already had far too much queueud up then and
we where trying to ensure that the already-queued entries where processed.

The last call for updates went out on 13th May, and the two machine
patches actually turned up on the 30th of May...

It is important that we get these merges ready at least a week in
advance of the merge window, otherwise there is _no_ time time to test
the merged trees, and even worse there is little time to correct any
mistakes... there where I belive two merge problems with trying to
rebuild trees at the last minute ready to send to Linus.

Unfortunately the S5PC100 moves did get overlooked (I think I may ended
up dropping off the samsung-soc list) and the ended up producing a lot
of the work involved in generating the pull request to RMK and then
Linus. (see http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.samsung-soc/1427)

If we can organise ourselves better (and Kukjin will be taking over some
of this work) then maybe we will have a much better experience for the
next time.

> >> Thank you,
> >> Kyungmin Park

> > these two should have gone in already
>
> I mean more aquila & goni patches. not basic support. e.g. OneNAND
> support, FB support and so on.

As above, I belive these where rather late on the horizon to be included.

> > I think kukjin has been looking at this, best check with him.
>
> It's already discussed. do you think it needs more comments?

Me, no. I think if Kukjin has no problems then it is up to Dimitry
whether he wants to merge it.

> > since we've not had any chance to discuss what is going on here
> > I can't see how we are ready to submit anything.
>
> It's basic functionality for s3c-fb. it's required for our target and
> want to use it. even though someone don't use it.
>
> I wonder some features are not used for other board. in this case it
> should be merged if it doesn't break any previous board. Of course
> with proper feedback. I think we answer your question doesn't it?

The fb system is currently without a propler maintainer and Andrew Morton
has been doing the job of applying patches. I don't know the reasons for
the last round of development not going in, but it was probably due to it
being too late.. I've so far been unable to actually subscribe to the new
fb list to try and sort it out.

This however doesn't cover the fact that there's been no movement on
dicsussing what is needed to support FIMC addition to the framebuffer
driver.

Do you have even a list of things that you think are needed for this, or
any actual patches we could look at and discuss?

--
Ben

Q:      What's a light-year?
A:      One-third less calories than a regular year.