Heads up: Linus plans to kill ARM defconfigs

Krzysztof Halasa khc at pm.waw.pl
Fri Jun 4 18:08:44 EDT 2010

Nicolas Pitre <nico at fluxnic.net> writes:

> Linus wants something to be done about the current defconfig mess which
> is perfectly legitimate.  He even suggested a possible solution.  I
> don't think he'll simply drop those defconfig files if we demonstrate
> that we're taking action to fix the actual problem.

To be honest, I see no usefulness in current defconfigs. Not only ARM
- in any and all defconfigs altogether.

Having this info somewhere on the web, maybe - just like we have the
build logs etc. But in the kernel source tree?

I wonder if I'm the only one frequently doing
grep CONFIG* ... | grep -v defconfig.

I think the issue will fix itself when the "select problem" is fixed.
And we should've fixed the "select problem" long ago (e.g. Kconfig*
should be able to select things without worrying about intermediate
steps, and it should be able to ask the user if needed).
--
Krzysztof Halasa