arm1176 running out of memory with kernel version 2.6.29.5 when d-cache >16k

koen velle koen.velle at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 04:27:53 EDT 2010

 Hi,

I've got a (simulated) system where I can select my cache sizes.  Boot
goes fine with 4, 8, and 16k cache, but goes boink with 32k cache.
While debugging, I'm able to find out that in __do_page_fault, I end
up at the label out_of_memory, as handle_mm_fault returns
VM_FAULT_OOM.

This does not happen with caches <32k.  Otherwise, both my system and
my linux config are identical, only the cache size is different.

Is there anything that can explain this ? Do I need to modify the
kernel configuration somehow if I want to use 32k caches ? Does the
kernel consume more memory when using 32k caches due to dealing with
cache coloring ?

In short, any easy answers ?

Thanks,