Introducing the LCD-Linux project

Miguel Ojeda miguel.ojeda.sandonis at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 15:19:25 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Mattia Jona-Lasinio
<mattia.jona at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this is to introduce the LCD-Linux project (http://lcd-linux.sourceforge.net/),
> a kernel level implementation of a VT102 terminal emulator, optimized for small
> alphanumeric and graphic displays.
>
> The possibility to connect to the computer small alphanumeric as well as graphic
> displays, has always attracted some interest. These small devices are connected
> to the computer and can be used to display system diagnostics like network
> usage, RAM or disk usage or even to replace the usual monitor. Possible
> applications can be found in embedded systems or clusters. These displays are
> connected to the computer through serial lines, parallel ports and more recently
> through USB connections. Appropriate programs in userspace gather the desired
> information and output it on the display. However for this to work, the
> userspace program has to implement some sort of display management, to determine
> what must be displayed where. This has two major disadvantages. First. Every
> userspace program willing to drive a display must solve the very same problems
> (display scroll and refresh, for instance), resulting in an overall duplication
> of code. Second. Display controllers usually require quite strict timings for
> proper operation and it is not trivial neither efficient to obtain this in
> userspace, whereas it is straightforward in kernel space through the usual delay
> functions. A solution is therefore to provide a sort of minimal terminal
> emulation in kernel space, that can be accessed through the standard character
> device interface. In this way the problem of the display management is reduced
> to some calls to the usual read/write/seek/ioctl routines. At the same time one
> has the possibility to implement handling of escape sequences, thus opening the
> way to standard applications based on the ncurses library.

Someone told me once ago, when I submitted the cfag12864b/ks0108
drivers, to make them use a framebuffer, so we could get a console on
it using a program like con2fb program in an independent manner. It
worked flawlessly and the console was quite usable!

I see that you want to implement something more complex, but maybe
someone/you can make a use of that idea. Check it out : )