ARM Machine SoC I/O setup and PAD initialization code

Eric Miao eric.y.miao at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 04:49:14 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Magnus Damm <magnus.damm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 4:29 PM, Simon Horman <horms at verge.net.au> wrote:
>>>
>>> So what you're proposing is that a broken boot loader should boot a
>>> version of Linux to fix the pin MUX, which then kexecs a kernel which
>>> doesn't have that code?
>>>
>>> What's the point of that - when the first kernel will be able to run
>>> the system?
>>
>> Ok, point taken, its impossible to remove the boot loaders.
>
> I disagree. We already use upstream Linux as a boot loader on SuperH.
>
> For ARM and other architectures check out the ELC2010 presentation by
> Greg Ungerer here:
> http://elinux.org/images/7/7b/LinuxWithoutABootLoader.pdf
>
> For SH and a more zoomed our perspective have a look at my presentation:
> http://elinux.org/images/2/2f/ELC-2010-Damm-Kexec.pdf

I agree with Magnus, that kernel as a bootloader is a good idea to go.

And the kexecboot works awesome on my zaurus, I like that very much
instead of flashing my device with a series of awkward steps.

Looking into shmobile, there are some specially customized _defconfig
to support that. More _defconfig in ARM might not be a good idea, but I
guess we can solve that in a different way though.