[RFC 3/3] mm: iommu: The Virtual Contiguous Memory Manager

Zach Pfeffer zpfeffer at codeaurora.org
Tue Jul 13 01:52:43 EDT 2010

Joerg Roedel wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 11:17:34PM -0700, Zach Pfeffer wrote:
>> Andi Kleen wrote:
>
>>> Hmm? dma_map_* does not change any CPU mappings. It only sets up
>>> DMA mapping(s).
>> Sure, but I was saying that iommu_map() doesn't just set up the IOMMU
>> mappings, its sets up both the iommu and kernel buffer mappings.
>
> What do you mean by kernel buffer mappings?

In-kernel mappings whose addresses can be dereferenced.

>>> That assumes that all the IOMMUs on the system support the same page table
>>> format, right?
>> Actually no. Since the VCMM abstracts a page-table as a Virtual
>> Contiguous Region (VCM) a VCM can be associated with any device,
>> regardless of their individual page table format.
>
> The IOMMU-API abstracts a page-table as a domain which can also be
> associated with any device (behind an iommu).

It does, but only by convention. The domain member is just a big
catchall void *. It would be more useful to factor out a VCM
abstraction, with associated ops. As it stands all IOMMU device driver
writters have to re-invent IOMMU virtual address management.