ARM defconfig files

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Mon Jul 12 15:50:47 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Linus Torvalds
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Nicolas Pitre <nico at fluxnic.net> wrote:
>> I think Uwe could provide his script and add it to the kernel tree.
>> Then all architectures could benefit from it.  Having the defconfig
>> files contain only those options which are different from the defaults
>> is certainly more readable, even on x86.
>
> Quite possible. But maintainers would need to be on the lookout of
> people actually using the script, and refusing to apply patches that
> re-introduce the whole big thing.

I can (partially) speak for powerpc.  If ARM uses this approach, then
I think we can do the same.  After the defconfigs are trimmed, I
certainly won't pick up any more full defconfigs.

Of course, I'm also operating under the assumption that this is a
temporary measure until one of the better solutions is implemented.  I
do suspect that the trimmed defconfigs will tend to be unstable and
will still require manual maintenance.  I think the Kconfig fragments
approach is the most promising if the dependencies issue can be
solved.

g.