[RFC 1/3 v3] mm: iommu: An API to unify IOMMU, CPU and device memory management

Zach Pfeffer zpfeffer at codeaurora.org
Thu Jul 8 19:59:52 EDT 2010

Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 03:44:27PM -0700, Zach Pfeffer wrote:
>> The DMA API handles the allocation and use of DMA channels. It can
>> configure physical transfer settings, manage scatter-gather lists,
>> etc.
>
> You're confused about what the DMA API is.  You're talking about
> the DMA engine subsystem (drivers/dma) not the DMA API (see
> Documentation/DMA-API.txt, include/linux/dma-mapping.h, and
> arch/arm/include/asm/dma-mapping.h)

Thanks for the clarification.

>> The VCM allows all device buffers to be passed between all devices in
>> the system without passing those buffers through each domain's
>> API. This means that instead of writing code to interoperate between
>> DMA engines, IOMMU mapped spaces, CPUs and physically addressed
>> devices the user can simply target a device with a buffer using the
>> same API regardless of how that device maps or otherwise accesses the
>> buffer.
>
> With the DMA API, if we have a SG list which refers to the physical
> pages (as a struct page, offset, length tuple), the DMA API takes
> care of dealing with CPU caches and IOMMUs to make the data in the
> buffer visible to the target device.  It provides you with a set of
> cookies referring to the SG lists, which may be coalesced if the
> IOMMU can do so.
>
> If you have a kernel virtual address, the DMA API has single buffer
> mapping/unmapping functions to do the same thing, and provide you
> with a cookie to pass to the device to refer to that buffer.
>
> These cookies are whatever the device needs to be able to access
> the buffer - for instance, if system SDRAM is located at 0xc0000000
> virtual, 0x80000000 physical and 0x40000000 as far as the DMA device
> is concerned, then the cookie for a buffer at 0xc0000000 virtual will
> be 0x40000000 and not 0x80000000.

It sounds like I've got some work to do. I appreciate the feedback.

The problem I'm trying to solve boils down to this: map a set of
contiguous physical buffers to an aligned IOMMU address. I need to
allocate the set of physical buffers in a particular way: use 1 MB
contiguous physical memory, then 64 KB, then 4 KB, etc. and I need to
align the IOMMU address in a particular way. I also need to swap out the
IOMMU address spaces and map the buffers into the kernel.

I have this all solved, but it sounds like I'll need to migrate to the DMA
API to upstream it.