RFC: A better clock rounding API?

Saravana Kannan skannan at codeaurora.org
Mon Aug 23 18:57:54 EDT 2010

Rob,

Rob Herring wrote:
> Saravana,
>
> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 5:01 PM, Saravana Kannan <skannan at codeaurora.org> wrote:
>> Rob,
>>
>>> This is still ambiguous. If there are multiple valid frequencies in
>>> the range, is the preferred rate returned the lowest rate or highest
>>> rate in the range? For something like an SD bus clock you would want
>>> the maximum rate within the range. For something like a LCD pixel
>>> clock or CMOS sensor input clock, you typically only need to be
>>> greater than a certain minimum freq and for power reasons you want it
>>> to be closest to the minimum.
>> Thanks for the feed back. This ambiguity is what my alternate proposal
>> handles. To repeat the 2nd option:
>>
>> long clk_find_rate(struct clk *clk,
>>                        unsigned long start_rate,
>>                        long end_rate);
>>
>> With the above API, the clock driver tries to find a freq between start_rate
>> and end_rate, but starts the search from "start_rate".
>>
>> So, if you prefer lower freqs, you call it as:
>> clk_find_rate(clk, 100000, 150000);
>>
>> and if you prefer higher freqs, you call it as:
>> clk_find_rate(clk, 150000, 100000);
>>
>> That should take care of your concerns, right?
>>
>> -Saravana
>
> Okay, that does address my concern, but I think that the use of the
> function is not completely obvious without explanation
We can resolve this by making sure the inline documentation in clk.h is
good.

> and subject to
> coding mistakes.
I think this is true for any API. If an API is called with wrong
parameters without understanding it, then it's not going to work.

> Also, considering clk_round_rate would still be
> ambiguous and with efforts to unify struct clk, perhaps it makes more
> sense to fix all users and implementations of clk_round_rate rather
> than add a new function which will duplicate some portion of
> clk_round_rate implementations.

clk_round_rate() in inherently broken because it doesn't provide the
clock driver with enough information (consumer's freq tolerance) to make
the right decision. I don't think there is a right way to fix it with
the existing parameters.

To address your concern, we could mark clk_round_rate() as deprecated
and remove it when everyone has converted their device drivers to use
clk_find_freq().

Anyway, I think we are putting the cart before the horse here. I'm
waiting for Russell King and possibly others to first agree to the
proposed API before deciding what we are going to do with the users of
the old API.

Russell and other active clock developers,

Any comments?

Thanks,
Saravana