RFC: A better clock rounding API?

Saravana Kannan skannan at codeaurora.org
Fri Aug 20 18:01:43 EDT 2010

Rob,

Rob Herring wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> 1. Use clk_round_rate() to get clock rates and test their driver on the
>> one/few board(s) they have at hand and hope it works on boards using
>> different SoCs.
>>
>> 2. Add each and every needed clock rate (low power rate, high performance
>> rate, handshake rate, etc) as fields to their platform data and have it
>> populated in every board file that uses the device.
>>
>> 3. Do a search of the frequency space of the clock by making several
>> clk_round_rate() calls at various intervals between their minimum and
>> maximum acceptable rates and hope to find one of the supported rates. If
>> clk_round_rate() does a +/- N percentage rounding and the interval is
>> larger, even this searching might not find an existing rate that's supported
>> between the driver's min and max acceptable rates.
>>
>> IMHO, each of these options have short comings that could be alleviated by
>> adding a more definitive "rounding" API.  Also, considering that it's the
>> consumer of each clock that knows best what amount of rounding and in which
>> direction is acceptable, IMHO the current approach of hiding the rounding
>> inside the clock drivers seems counter intuitive.
>>
>> I would like to propose the addition of either:
>>
>> long clk_find_rate(struct clk *clk,
>>                        unsigned long min_rate,
>>                        long max_rate);
>>
>> or
>>
>> long clk_find_rate(struct clk *clk,
>>                        unsigned long start_rate,
>>                        long end_rate);
>>
>> The advantage of the 2nd suggestion is that it allows a driver to specify
>> which end of a frequency range it prefers.  But I'm not sure how important
>> of an advantage that is.  So, proposing both and having the community decide
>> which one, if any, is acceptable.
>>
>> If the clk_find_rate() API is available, the driver developer wouldn't have
>> to worry about figuring out a way for the clk_set_rate() to work on
>> different platforms/machs/SoCs. If a platform/mach/SoC can provide a clock
>> rate that's acceptable to their hardware and software requirements, then
>> they can be assured to find it without having to jump through hoops or
>> having a driver not work when it could have.
>>
>> Does the addition of one of the suggested APIs sound reasonable? If not, can
>> someone explain what the right/better solution is? If the addition of a new
>> API is reasonable, what's the community preference between the two
>> suggestion? If I submit a patch that will add one of the APIs is it likely
>> to be accepted?
>>
>> Thanks for your time.
>>

> This is still ambiguous. If there are multiple valid frequencies in
> the range, is the preferred rate returned the lowest rate or highest
> rate in the range? For something like an SD bus clock you would want
> the maximum rate within the range. For something like a LCD pixel
> clock or CMOS sensor input clock, you typically only need to be
> greater than a certain minimum freq and for power reasons you want it

Thanks for the feed back. This ambiguity is what my alternate proposal
handles. To repeat the 2nd option:

long clk_find_rate(struct clk *clk,
                         unsigned long start_rate,
                         long end_rate);

With the above API, the clock driver tries to find a freq between
start_rate and end_rate, but starts the search from "start_rate".

So, if you prefer lower freqs, you call it as:
clk_find_rate(clk, 100000, 150000);

and if you prefer higher freqs, you call it as:
clk_find_rate(clk, 150000, 100000);

That should take care of your concerns, right?

-Saravana