ARM: 2.6.3[45] PCI regression (IXP4xx and PXA?)

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Aug 19 17:54:28 EDT 2010

> linux/device.h defines that it's the device dma mask.
>
> Except for ARM, coherent_dma_mask represents the device dma mask.

That's just verbiage in a header file. Nobody cares. The point is, the
device DMA mask per-se is a completely useless piece of information, and
thus there is absolutely no point keeping it around there.

The only thing that matters is the intersection of all the masks on the
way to memory, which defines where memory can be allocated.

Now the mask thing itself might end up not being enough for ARM in the
long run, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with busses that can DMA
to areas of memory that are not 0 based, but that's a discussion for
another day.

> We sometimes want to know the device dma mask. Moving to your
> definition means that we lose that information.

When ?

Cheers,
Ben.