Query: Patches break with Microsoft exchange server.

Mihai Donțu mihai.dontu at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 10:35:10 EDT 2010

On Monday 09 August 2010 12:43:16 Justin P. Mattock wrote:
> On 08/09/2010 02:35 AM, viresh kumar wrote:
> >>
> >> Let your boss complain to your IT keepers.
> >> "These are Machine-to-Machine messages, they must not be modified!"
> >>

> >> It would probably be "against corporate policy" to use gmail for these
> >> emails...
> >
> > We got one solution: Upgrade Exchange server to SP2.
> > Lets see if our IT department does this upgradation.
>
> that or just blast them with some cryptology..i.e. pretty sure if your
> message was encapsulated(AH/ESP) they couldn't tweak it.. but then
> sending such encryption to a public list would require a _key_ on the
> other side.. wishful thinking...
> (just a thought)...

Shouldn't just signing the message be enough? The server (normally) would not
alter it, otherwise it will break the signature (which is a too obvious bug
even for Microsoft). Or am I missing something here?

PS: A local SMTP with DKIM signing capabilities could be another possibility,
assuming Exchange does not break such signatures.

--
Mihai Donțu