[RFC] dove: fix __io() definition to use bus based offset

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Mon Aug 2 06:59:58 EDT 2010

On Saturday 31 July 2010, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 09:21:40PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> >
> > On a related note, is there a particular reason why most of the
> > *_*_VIRT_BASE macros are just numbers instead of void __iomem
> > pointers?
>
> Let me expand a little, and then I'll answer your question.
>
> As already covered, __io() is the macro to enable the PC-like IO port
> macros, and if there's a simple 1:1 mapping, defining it to be the
> __typesafe_io() function is what's required.  __typesafe_io() should
> not appear anywhere else, and as I've said in the URL above, it
> shouldn't be aliased to __io() with offsets.  So I wouldn't want to
> see stuff using __io() nor __typesafe_io() for other stuff (such as
> _VIRT_BASE macros.)

Right, this absolutely makes sense and we already talked about it.
I would even go further and try to remove the definitions that
contain just

#define __io(a) __typesafe_io(a)

For platforms that have no PCI/ISA/PCMCIA support, because they
do not have support for I/O space either. The definition is present
in a number of platforms right now and lets those build device drivers
that use the inb/outb family of functions, but actually calling such
a function with a hardcoded small number like 0x3f8 for the serial
port will result in a NULL pointer exception.

Ideally those functions should only be called when CONFIG_HAS_IOPORT
is set (I've started driver patches for that) and we should
set CONFIG_NO_IOPORT when there is no support for PIO, rather than
defining a bogus mapping to low memory.

> Now, when it comes to _VIRT_BASE macros, they tend to end up being
> used not only in C code, but also assembly.  In C, it's useful to
> have virtual addresses typed correctly - which as you say are void
> __iomem pointers.  When it comes to assembly, to avoid defining a
> set of additional pointers, I've suggested in the past to do this:
>
> #ifndef __ASSEMBLY__
> #define IOMEM(x)	((void __iomem __force *)(x))
> #else
> #define IOMEM(x)	(x)
> #endif
>
> #define FOO_VIRT_BASE	IOMEM(0xfeedface)

Ok.

> which gives us the behaviour we desire.  I'd ideally like IOMEM() to
> be in some generic header, but I don't think asm/io.h makes much sense
> for that - neither does creating a new header just for it.  What do
> other architectures do for accessing system device registers (excluding
> x86 which of course uses ISA IO macros)?  I wonder if somewhere under
> linux/ would be appropriate for it.

From what I've seen in other architectures, few others really use
static memory space mappings, except for the legacy ISA range that
includes the VGA memory space and the PCI/ISA IO space mapping if that
is memory mapped. Both are normally only defined in one place though,
since they are not board specific, so there is no need for a macro
to abstract that.

> There is one place in our architecture code where this goes wrong, and
> that's the static map structures (struct map_desc) where the virtual
> address is an unsigned long - this is because the underlying code really
> wants it as a number and not a pointer (it wants to do stuff with page
> tables.)  Converting this to a pointer results in casts-to-pointers
> appearing elsewhere in the code, so you can't win on that.

I was thinking about making that an anonymous union for a transition
time, like

struct map_desc {
        union {
                unsigned long virtual;
                void __iomem *virt_base;
        };
        unsigned long pfn;
        unsigned long length;
        unsigned int type;
};

Then we can do one platform at a time, moving all definitions from
integer constants to pointer constants.

When the last use of map_desc->virtual is gone, we can remove the
union again (that could be in the same patch series).

> However, for the vast majority of definitions (being registers) then
> defining them to be void __iomem pointer like is definitely the right
> thing.
>
> I've toyed in the past with making the IO macros have tigher type-
> checking, but I've found each time I've tried it that it causes gcc
> to become less efficient with code generation, resulting in larger
> kernels.

Ok, I'll make sure that whatever I come up with doesn't regress
on code size.

	Arnd