Decompression failure in an inexplicable case

Michael Cashwell mboards at prograde.net
Thu Apr 29 13:29:25 EDT 2010

On Apr 29, 2010, at 12:39 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 05:34:46PM +0100, Catalin Marinas wrote:
>> On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 16:27 +0100, Michael Cashwell wrote:
>>> If I omit CPUFreq support [CONFIG_CPU_FREQ is not set], or enable both
>>> it and its debugging support [CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEBUG=y], the kernel
>>> builds and runs seemingly fine.
>>>
>>> But if I have CONFIG_CPU_FREQ enabled but NOT its debugging support
>>> then kernel builds OK (including full mrproper cleanings in between):
>>
>> BTW, one of the suggestions at the time was to try this:
>
> Another thing is to ask which kernel version.  There's a number of fixes which recently went in to both -stable and -rc to fix problems with the decompressor.

From first post (sorry to hear about your Internet connectivity woes Russell!):

> I'm working on a custom 2.6.33.2 port to Gumstix Verdex XL6P (PXA270) ...

The custom part is vanilla board support (missing stuff we don't care about like frame buffers and Bluetooth).

That's why I was so rattled by the decompression problems. I haven't been working anywhere near that.

I've not tried GZIP with the 4K -> 8K stack space Catalin mentioned.

Since I presently seem to have this Heisenbug somewhat cornered and reproducible if doing that and reporting the results would be helpful I'm happy to do so.

-Mike