kernel virtual memory access (from app) does not generatesegfault

Dave P. Martin Dave.Martin at arm.com
Wed Apr 21 12:07:10 EDT 2010

[...]

> > > The difference between instruction faults and data faults
> is that we
> > > always interpret instruction faults on pre-ARMv6 CPUs as a
> > > 'translation fault' rather than a permission fault since
> they can't
> > > tell us what the problem was.
> >
> > Note that my observations were on an armv7 kernel.  Should we still
> > hit the same bit of code in this case, or have I
> misdiagnosed the problem?
> >
> You said your kernel is .28, so it seems too old and this
> commit may fix
> it:
> commit d25ef8b86e6a58f5476bf6e4a8da730b335f68fa
> 	ARM: 5728/1: Proper prefetch abort handling on ARMv6 and ARMv7

Just to clarify, this problem was not specific to 2.6.28.  I also see the
same issue on the 2.6.31 Ubuntu lucid kernel.

So I guess I did misdiagnose the problem, though the affected code did look
worth tweaking anyway--- the suggested fixes looked sensible to me.

I see this patch didn't hit mainline before 2.6.32; I'll suggest to the
Ubuntu folks that they merge this, but I guess it's not critical for them
--- I don't think they've seen any real-life instances of this problem yet.

Cheers
---Dave