udelay() broken for SMP cores?

skannan at codeaurora.org skannan at codeaurora.org
Wed Apr 21 05:39:39 EDT 2010

>>> If you have case where individual CPUs are running at different speed
>>> and different
>>> Tick rate then only this can make difference.
>>
>> Yes. I was talking about the case where the CPUs could be running at
>> different speeds.
>
> We don't support that; if we did, we'd have to disable preempt for every
> call to mdelay/udelay to ensure that the thread is locked to a particular
> CPU.  I suspect that will (a) destroy RT scheduling preformance (b)
> increase preempt latency to an undesirable extent.

Is this an ARM specific decision? Cpufreq certainly supports per cpu scaling
and x86 udelay uses per-CPU data. So your concern should apply for x86
too. I had the same concern and was planning on bring it up in the cpufreq
mailing list after I made sure I didn't misunderstand anything.

Btw, your concern should apply for single core scaling too, right? Context
switch can complete within max udelay (general - 5ms, ARM - 2ms) time and
CPU could have jumped
from lowest to highest speed in that time and mess up udelay. I didn't see
any code in cpufreq that deferred scaling during udelay. So, that's something
I plan to ask cpufreq folks too.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Saravana
P.S: Sent from phone. Pls excuse formatting issues.