AC97 problems with pxa...

Jakob Viketoft jakob.viketoft at bitsim.com
Thu Apr 8 05:17:28 EDT 2010

Trying to bring two threads down to one.

Mark Brown wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 11:37:24AM +0200, Jakob Viketoft wrote:
>
> Please don't top post...
>
>> Do you mean mixing the AC97 non-asoc and asoc drivers or the drivers
>> for the WM9712? I can't see the possibility of mixing anything for
>> the WM9712, but I'm unsure of the distinction between the different
>> AC97 pieces.
>
> ...without context it's hard to work out what you are talking about.
>
>> Should this make a difference? My module init function gets called,
>> it's just the snd_soc_dai_link[0].init function that doesn't.
>
> Build soc-core.c with #define DEBUG at the top then look at your logs

I've run with DEBUG defined and seen a bit more specifics. I have also
created a device in the board init and added a driver in my machine code
as per the palmtx code. Nothing I've done seem to change the behaviour
and I can't quite get my head around what's going on. Does anyone run a
pxa270 board with AC97 sound and can tell me what output they get from
dmesg?

As I said before, by writing 0 to the AC97_POWERDOWN register (enabling
everything) I get perfect sound output, so something seems right. It
just won't go all the way...

The dmesg output:
Registered platform 'pxa2xx-audio'
Error: Driver 'pxa2xx-ac97' is already registered, aborting...
soc-audio soc-audio: DAI pxa2xx-ac97 not registered
soc-audio soc-audio: Registered card 'Colibri 270 v2'
ALSA device list:
   #0: pxa2xx-ac97 (Wolfson WM9711,WM9712,WM9715)

The pxa2xx-ac97 DAI not being registered does seem troublesome because
the code in soc_core won't continue without this. Any insights?