devicetree in arm

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Thu Apr 8 02:31:13 EDT 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Bill Gatliff <bgat at billgatliff.com> wrote:
> Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 07:14:05AM -0600, Grant Likely wrote:
>>
>>> ARM device tree support is very much in flux, and that particular
>>> branch gets rebased a lot as device tree code from Sparc, Microblaze
>>> and Powerpc is merged into drivers/of.  I may have ended up pushing
>>> out to test-devicetree without the ARM patches applied.  I'll look at
>>> it today, make sure the ARM stuff is all there, and then push it out
>>> again.
>>>
>>> Note however that this is only very basic support.  It doesn't yet
>>> have the code needed to register devices and drivers from device tree
>>> data.  That will be coming real-soon-now.
>>>

>> Is someone going to do a device tree example port to a 'real' platform
>> rather than simple the ARM evaluation boards?
>>
>> As I've said previously, I'm not going to accept device tree stuff until
>> I see a working implementation on a set of real platforms.
>>

> I can give it a spin on a couple of the boards I have here.  I'm already
> using device trees on my PPC platforms.

Hi Bill.  I've just pushed out my tree with a bit of the device tree
probing working on the versatile platform.  It works with the QEMU
branch that Jeremy Kerr is maintaining.  Here are the git trees, and
the web page that describes how to build it:

git://git.secretlab.ca/git/linux-2.6 test-devicetree
git://git://kernel.ubuntu.com/jk/dt/qemu.git
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/ARMDeviceTrees

I've got stuff working on real hardware too, but it's not fully baked
yet.  Right now qemu is the least trouble.

g.