Regulators vis-a-vis Power Domains

Ben Dooks ben-linux at fluff.org
Tue Apr 6 11:58:13 EDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 04, 2010 at 02:10:58PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 03, 2010 at 08:12:56PM +0200, Sundar R IYER wrote:
>
> Please fix your mail client to word wrap within paragraphs; not doing
> this makes your messages harder to read and reply to.  I've reflowed below.
>
> > 1. The documentation for the regulators mentions "power domains" and
> > "switches" to be modeled as regulators. I am planning to model multiple
> > "switches" for controlling supplies to various peripherals from a main
> > master regulator as multiple regulators, childed from the parent
> > regulator. Is this the right way to proceed ahead? Further the options
>
> If you want to do this in the regulator framework, yes.
>
> > for these switches will be only a logical on/off. (BTW, I saw lots of TI
> > stuff which is something related to power domains, but it doesn't model
> > the regulator framework.)
>
> Nor does the SH stuff.  With the power domains of a CPU it often doesn't
> buy terribly much to use the regulator framework - the power domains are
> often a small part of a much bigger picture for the CPU internal power
> management, often incorporating thing

I personally think there is merit to having the regulator framework at
least play a part in these, as is possible the powerdomains are being
fed from external regulators and/or power switches. I see it as good
way of using existing support to do useful work.

I've already seen an example of powerdomains hacked into the clock
framework, but this isn't really the place for it to be as it ends
up adding switch-on latencies to the system and hides things from the
driver.