2.6.32-rc1/2, arm and usb

Mikael Pettersson mikpe at it.uu.se
Tue Sep 29 18:06:27 EDT 2009

Arnaud Patard (Rtp) writes:
 > I wanted yesterday to check that my iop sanmina support was still fine on
 > latest -rc kernel and found out that it was not booting anymore and last
 > thing printed on the serial console is "done. Booting the kernel". After
 > bisecting, the culprit is commit
 > db8be50c4307dac2b37305fc59c8dc0f978d09ea (in linus tree). Reverting it
 > allows to boot so this confirms the git bisect result.
 >
 > The commit does this in drivers/usb/host/pci-quirks.c :
 > -DECLARE_PCI_FIXUP_FINAL(PCI_ANY_ID, PCI_ANY_ID, quirk_usb_early_handoff);
 > +DECLARE_PCI_FIXUP_HEADER(PCI_ANY_ID, PCI_ANY_ID, quirk_usb_early_handoff);
 >
 > Now, before collecting informations to report the problem to usb folks
 > and trying to debug further, I'm wondering if anyone else got this bug
 > or if I'm just unlucky and has a hardware-specific issue. Also, if
 > someone has an idea of what the problem may be or in which direction I
 > should look at, please share.

My iop n2100 shows the exact same problem with 2.6.32-rc1,
and reverting the commit mentioned above fixes it.

None of my other machines (including two non-iop arms, x86,
and ultrasparc) have this problem even though they all have
PCI usb controllers. So the problem looks iop-specific.

I found only two iop-related changes in -rc1 (both affecting
adma.c), but I wasn't able to revert just those two cleanly.
Instead I added just the db8be50c4307dac2b37305fc59c8dc0f978d09ea
change to 2.6.31, and that totally killed it in the same way
it killed 2.6.32-rc1.