arm_syscall cacheflush breakage on VIPT platforms

Bill Gatliff bgat at billgatliff.com
Mon Sep 28 10:20:47 EDT 2009

Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Do we really need a cross-architecture solution ? The pressure to implement a
> working userspace DMA solution seem to come mostly from embedded system
> developers, and embedded systems usually don't mind arch-specific APIs.

So what if the first attempt is ARM-only?  Let the PPC guys have theirs,
and so on--- all that experience should give us ideas on how to do the
One Size Fits All version.  In the meantime, at least we'll have
something we can use.

It's obviously a tricky problem to solve.  Think of the arch-specific
version as being "prototype".  We'll be prototyping for a while, I'm
sure, and the fact that we don't have such an API yet tells me that we
need a few prototypes to identify how--- if it's even possible--- to
proceed with a generic implementation.

> In that case developers will all create their own incompatible solutions and
> the situation will likely get worse.

... and that creates the additional problem of cleaning up the mess
while at the same time finding and implementing a cross-architecture
solution.

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff