Kernel related (?) user space crash at ARM11 MPCore

Catalin Marinas catalin.marinas at arm.com
Mon Sep 21 18:14:09 EDT 2009

Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 09:10:43PM +0100, Jamie Lokier wrote:
>> And here's a little something:
>>
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/aufs-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg02093.html
>>
>> It's about MIPS, but has an awful lot of things in common with the bug
>> being discussed in this thread: dynamic linker, constants embedded in
>> the code, using mprotect rx->rw->rx, missing I-cache flush, only
>> affects COW, copy_user_highpage(), is worked around by switching the
>> cache from write-back to write-through...
>>
>> Useful?
>
> Depends.  ARMv7 has the requirement that memory is not mapped in using
> different cache settings (we already violate that, and ARM Ltd's aware
> of that, but no one yet knows how to solve it in Linux.)

I think so far the hardware can cope with this as long as you don't
access both mappings at the same time (they would need at least a DSB
between accesses with different mappings). If a new CPU requires this
strict rule to be enforced, the solution I see is a hardware one - ACP
(ARM's Accelerator Coherency Port) - where we get everything, including
DMA memory, mapped cached.

--
Catalin