Kernel related (?) user space crash at ARM11 MPCore

Catalin Marinas catalin.marinas at arm.com
Mon Sep 21 06:42:22 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-21 at 11:07 +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 10:44:23AM +0100, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> > I would still call this I-D cache coherency issue since the two caches
> > have a different view of the RAM but I agree that the D-cache is the one
> > holding the data (with a slight chance for the I-cache not to be in sync
> > with main RAM, though we could treat it separately).
> >
> > We can sort out the D-cache issue with your approach for cleaning it in
> > the copy_user_highpage() function, but, as I said, we affect the
> > standard CoW mechanism for data pages quite a lot.
>
> Let me restate my approach more clearly:
>
> 1. Remember that a VMA has been executable.
> 2. Only do the additional handing if the VMA has been executable.

If we don't do anything with mprotect(RX), I'm fine with this approach.
Can the VM_MAYEXEC flag be used or we would need to use some of the
pgprot bits?

The .S parts of my patch would need to be merged as well but with a
different description. That's because the sys_cacheflush() can easily
generate a kernel oops if it is called on an mmap'ed page where the
pages haven't been mapped yet and the vma is valid.

> > > The instruction cache issue is an entirely separate problem.
> >
> > We would need to fix this somehow as well. We currently handle the
> > I-cache in update_mmu_cache() when a page is first mapped if it has
> > VM_EXEC set.
>
> The reason I'm pushing you hard to separate the two issues is that the
> two should be treated separately.  I think we need to consider ensuring
> that freed pages do not have any I-cache lines associated with them,
> rather than waiting for them to be allocated and then dealing with the
> I-cache problem.

Yes, this approach should work as well but I can't tell the impact (some
lmbench tests would be useful, though not sure when I'll have time).

> > But mprotect() or change_protection() don't seem to call this.
>
> That's because update_mmu_cache() is a TLB interface, not a cache
> interface.  You'd have to call update_mmu_cache() for every individual
> page.  See cachetlb.txt.

It's a TLB interface but it's also used for lazy cache flushing.
According to cachetlb.txt it isn't used for change_protection() I don't
think we can change this without hassle.

> > Should we mandate a cacheflush syscall in user space when calling
> > mprotect(RX)? I don't think people are expecting this.
>
> It is not clear what effect mprotect() with harvard caches should have
> on I+D coherency - certainly there's no behavioural requirements in
> this regard specified by POSIX.
>
> Given that if you have a RWX region you have to deal with the coherency
> issue in userspace already, I don't see mprotect() being any different
> in this regard.

Thanks. I won't try to push for an mprotect() change here as I don't
have a very strong opinion (but I've seen people expecting this to
work). Anyway, I just wanted to get a statement from you on this issue.

--
Catalin