Samsung S3C6410 mainline merge coordination

David F. Carlson dave at chronolytics.com
Wed Sep 2 17:25:36 EDT 2009

Sorry about my long line formatting...

According to Ben Dooks:

> > === video / multimedia ===
> > * needs a lot of thought
> > * support standard mainlien architecture wherever possible
> > ** 2D accelerated framebuffer
> > ** DRI/DRM/TTM/KMS
> > ** V4L
>
> I am not really sure if there is any current support for using
> hardware blocks for decoding video data. I think that having some
> form of framework for doing these as well as allowing blocks to be
> chained togehter would be useful.
>
> Again this is something that needs to be taken up with the relevant
> community (assuming there is one) to come to a good solution.

I have source to a mplayer which uses the MFC/PP as the video codec for the
four video encodings it supports.  A hd video with MFC decode utilizes ~30% of
the 6410 and without the HW assist utilizes all the CPU and still drops
frames.  This is all within Xwin using the fbdev.

This MFC/PP driver pair is useful to users now.  I am sorry they are not
good enough for the next-s3c.

David F. Carlson    Chronolytics, Inc.  Rochester, NY
mailto:dave at chronolytics.com            http://www.chronolytics.com

"The faster I go, the behinder I get." --Lewis Carroll