[WARNING] pxamci: 'pxa2xx-mci.0' does not have a release() function.

Antonio Ospite ospite at studenti.unina.it
Fri Oct 23 05:50:28 EDT 2009

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 23:57:58 +0100
Russell King - ARM Linux <linux at arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 12:36:31AM +0200, Antonio Ospite wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I get this warning on shutdown. How to fix it properly?
> >
> > FYI, in my setup pxa2xx_spi is the parent for pxamci, set using
> > this patch:
> > http://git.openezx.org/openezx.git?a=commitdiff;h=0ffd85ad8faea3456d4ecf5f63ae65aca26fff21
>
> This sounds like it's the cause of the problem - from the backtrace, it
> looks like SPI expects the children of the SPI device to be its own
> responsibility to maintain.
>
> Hence, because you've made pxamci a child of SPI, SPI is trying to
> unregister and release the pxamci device.

A little more background: we need pxamci to be a child of SPI because
our PMIC is connected via SPI, and a PMIC regulator is used for mmc
powering; enforcing this hierarchy is needed to make pxamci suspend and
resume properly.

The board init does:
	spi_pd = platform_device_alloc("pxa2xx-spi", 1);
	spi_pd->dev.platform_data = &ezx_spi_masterinfo;
	platform_device_add(spi_pd);
	spi_register_board_info(ARRAY_AND_SIZE(a780_spi_boardinfo));

	pxa_set_mci_parent(&spi_pd->dev);
	pxa_set_mci_info(&ezx_mci_platform_data);

Now, do you suggest to adapt pxamci so it supports the case when
another driver wants to release it? I am not sure how to do that, tho.

Thanks,
   Antonio

--
Antonio Ospite