PCI hotplug supported on ARM (Kirkwood)?

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Thu Nov 12 14:01:32 EST 2009

Dieter Kiermaier <dk-arm-linux at gmx.de> wrote:

> is it possible to boot a FPGA which is connected to an PCI bus on a
> kirkwood cpu (via a pcie->pci bridge) at runtime (I call it hotplug)?
>
> And after booting the FPGA e.g. via slave serial protocol loading the
> pci driver and access the device? This would be much easier to handle
> than flashing the fpga using u-boot.
>
> Is there any special framework I have to use? How can I tell the
> kernel to reenumerate the bus and reasign the pci resources?
>
> I have googled a lot and also tried to find something at newsgroups or
> mailinglists but I haven't found some valuable information - at least
> not for me ;). Is this possible?

I tried tackling this on my board by creating a new 'bus' and trying to
work around making the FPGA 'hotplugable' that way.  As the bus would
know about the process of reprogramming the FPGA, it could cleanly
unload and reload everything.

Never did get it to work and no one expressed any real interest in it
for the platform sadly; so I drifted off looking for other geeky things
to do.

I am still personally keener on the bus model, but Geert suggested I
lump for a MFD.

Whatever you do, if you can keep me in the loop then I can nick your
ideas/code and maybe get back into tinkering with my ARM board, that's
if I stop bricking my MIPS boards :-/

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: There's a lot to be said for not saying a lot.