orion/kirkwood pcie issue still open with 2.6.32-rc6 (marvell stock 2.6.22.18 works!)

Lennert Buytenhek buytenh at wantstofly.org
Wed Nov 11 11:59:27 EST 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 05:43:06PM +0100, Dieter Kiermaier wrote:

> > What's likely happening is that your boot loader either enables or
> > does not disable this bit, and the 2.6.22.18 kernel disables the bit,
> > while the upstream kernel leaves the bit untouched.
> >
> > What this bit does is to decide whether or not aborts on the PCI
> > interface are translated into processor aborts.  It's not really
> > necessary to have this enabled, as the transaction will return
> > 0xffffffff to the CPU anyway, which is then handled appropriately
> > as well.
> >
> > What uboot version are you using?  The uboot versions I have on my
> > Kirkwood boards all jump to the OS with this bit already cleared.
> > Perhaps we should clear it explicitly from Linux.
>
> I'm using prafullas latest u-boot from u-boot-marvell at denx.de.
> What u-boot are you using?

I think my boards are still on the stock uboot version.

> > > and after succesfully boot my pci device isn't reachable - without any errors / warnings!
> > > I've enabled printk (echo 8 > /proc/sys/kernel/printk) and still no console output.
> >
> > The device shows up on the bus, the bridge primary/secondary bus numbers
> > look good, and the secondary memory address range on the bridge looks
> > properly programmed.  It all looks good to me.
> >
> > What do you mean by 'not reachable'?  I'm guessing that you're trying
> > to access the memory BAR on the 01:08.0 device directly from userland
> > by reading from the e000_0000 - e3ff_ffff address range from /dev/mem
> > and only getting 0xffffffff back because you don't have an actual kernel
> > driver for this FPGA board and thus you're not calling pci_enable_device()
> > on your device, causing MEM/IO decoding not to have been enabled on
> > the device as seems to be the case in your dump?
> >
> No - I've allready a minimal driver here - I will check. It looks like I've forgotten to load it for the dump, sorry :(
> Please see my driver probe below
> (the FPGA supports simple memory mapped LEDs at the moment):
>
> #define ARTISTA_MEM_SIZE (1024*1024)		/* I don't want to use all 64MBytes write for testing*/
>

> static int probe(struct pci_dev *dev, const struct pci_device_id *id)
> {
> 	int result;
> 	int i=0, y=0;
>
> 	printk(KERN_DEBUG "anetfb probe() called\n");
>
> 	if ((result = pci_enable_device(dev)) < 0) {
> 		return result;
> 	}
>
> 	memstart = pci_resource_start(dev, 0);
> 	memlength = pci_resource_len(dev, 0);
>
> 	printk(KERN_DEBUG "anetfb probe() request_mem_region() for BAR0\n");
> 	printk(KERN_DEBUG "anetfb probe() BAR0 start address:%lx BAR0 length:%lx\n", memstart, memlength);
> 	if (!request_mem_region(memstart, ARTISTA_MEM_SIZE, "mv_video MMIO"))
> 	{
> 		printk(KERN_DEBUG "anetfb probe() request_mem_region() for BAR0 failed\n");
> 		return -EIO;
> 	}
>
> 	iomem_pointer=ioremap_nocache(memstart, ARTISTA_MEM_SIZE);

Here you should probably use pci_iomap().

> This driver code works fine with 2.6.22.18 and doesn't with latest
> git kernels (back to 2.6.30 where sheevaplug support starts).
> With latest git kernels everytime 0xffffffff is returned by read calls.

The fact that the bridge has transaction forwarding disables explains
this -- see my other reply.

> > For what it's worth, I have various mv78xx0 and Kirkwood boards with
> > 88SB2211 PCIe-to-PCI bridges on them, and they all work fine, and
> > the devices behind those bridges do too.
>
> Do you use marvell 88SB2211 PCIe-to-PCI bridge evalboards? I use this
> one: DB-88SB2211-B-Pex2PCI

No, the mv78xx0 and Kirkwood development boards (ATX sized) come with
88SB2211 bridges integrated on the board, which is what I use.