dream: fastboot getting protocol errors

Brian Swetland swetland at google.com
Mon Nov 9 07:59:10 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 2:36 AM, Pavel Machek <pavel at ucw.cz> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm still fighting with porting MMC support to current mainline.
>
> Meanwhile: I'm getting this *way* too often -- with the htcUSB  to
> 2xUSB reduction. Any ideas?
>
> root at amd:/data/l/android# ./fastboot -c "console=tty0
> root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootdelay=5 fbcon=rotate:1" boot
> /data/l/linux-msm/arch/arm/boot/zImage
> creating boot image...
> creating boot image - 1667072 bytes
> downloading 'boot.img'... FAILED (command write failed (Protocol
> error))
> root at amd:/data/l/android#
>
> ...and then it just goes away after powercycling the phone...

Unfortunately, I think that's just flakies in the htc bootloader.  I'm
not aware of any simple workaround.  Do you not see it fail if you use
a straight USB A->miniB cable?

I think that bootloader will still honor a secondstage bootloader
embedded in the boot.img (mkbootimg --second foo), or you could
replace the zimage in the boot.img with a second stage bootloader.
Either way, dunno if you want to dig into bootloader hackery to try to
resolve usb issues.

Brian