orion/kirkwood pcie issue still open with rc6

Simon Kagstrom simon.kagstrom at netinsight.net
Mon Nov 9 03:49:58 EST 2009

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 09:33:46 +0100
Dieter Kiermaier <dk-arm-linux at gmx.de> wrote:

> Ronan Shitrit from marvell gave me the information to clear bit 2 of physical
> address 0xf1020100 to enable bus scanning.
> I don't know what this really does but it helped to get my kernel up and running.

You have that in the functional specification for the kirkwood
processors:

  http://www.marvell.com/files/products/embedded_processors/kirkwood/FS_88F6180_9x_6281_OpenSource.pdf

See Appendix A for the register set and lookup address 0x20100 (the CPU
configuration register). Bit 2 in that register turns on/off error
propagation:

              Mbus-L Error propogation
              For a list of errors see "Error Handling".
              0 = NoErrProp: Error indications are not propagated to Mbus-L. The
                  transactions are completed normally.
              1 = ErrProp: Error indications are propagated to Mbus-L.

and clearing it sounds quite a bit like hiding the real problem :-).

Probably it's best to try to find out what's causing this error (see
the Error Handling section of the PCIe chapter in the reference manual
above) so that that a proper fix can be implemented!

// Simon