Using statically allocated memory for platform_data.

Antonio Ospite ospite at studenti.unina.it
Mon Nov 2 05:23:16 EST 2009

Hi,

I noted that in some mfd drivers (drivers/mfd/ezx-pcap.c and
drivers/mfd/da903x.c) there is code like this:

static int __devinit pcap_add_subdev(struct pcap_chip *pcap,
                                     struct pcap_subdev *subdev)
{
        struct platform_device *pdev;

        pdev = platform_device_alloc(subdev->name, subdev->id);
        pdev->dev.parent = &pcap->spi->dev;
        pdev->dev.platform_data = subdev->platform_data;

        return platform_device_add(pdev);
}

Note the _direct_assignment_ of platform data; then in board init code
there are often global struct pointers passed as subdev platform data,
see arch/arm/mach-pxa/em-x270.c::em_x270_da9030_subdevs for instance.

In these cases, whenever the subdev platform device is unregistered,
the call to platform_device_release() tries to kfree the platform data,
and being it statically allocated memory this triggers a bug from SLAB:
	kernel BUG at mm/slab.c:521!
In my case this prevented proper device poweroff.

The question: should these mfd drivers use platform_device_add_data()
which allocates dynamic memory for *a copy* of platform data? Is this
simple solution acceptable even if there will be more memory used?
Or should we setup platform_data in dynamic memory from the beginning
in board init code? (which would be way less pretty IMHO).

As a side note, I've found that SLOB is more permissive in these cases
when statically allocated memory is being freed, it reports the bug but
the kernel does not hang, and in my case poweroff is still possible.

If you need more info to come up with an opinion about that, just let me
know.

Thanks,
   Antonio

P.S. I am sending this also to LKML, but I am not subscribed to it, if
you get the message from there, please CC me on reply.

--
Antonio Ospite
http://ao2.it

PGP public key ID: 0x4553B001