Using SD cards on Samsung S3C2410/S3C2440 based systems

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Sun Dec 20 07:48:55 EST 2009

On 12/20/09 12:22, Somebody in the thread at some point said:

Hi Juergen -

>> and you looked with your scope that power is OK there from early boot
>
> I started to add some caps close to the socket. Now more cards are working
> with a 2.6.32.2 kernel. But when I boot a 2.6.31 kernel instead, some are
> still do not work. Curious.

Where did you connect the caps and what value are they?

Unless you have a very long bus to the SD Card, any caps on signal lines
are just there to suppress EMI and are not required for operation.

If you added a cap between power and ground at the socket and it started
behaving better, I would remove the cap and watch the power carefully
with a 'scope during boot.

Also I would try the "thumb test" as a sanity check against the socket,
try a bad card that never works with your thumb applying gentle pressure
to the socket.

-Andy