HTC Dream: dream is better name for this machine

Pavel Machek pavel at ucw.cz
Mon Dec 7 05:07:03 EST 2009

On Sun 2009-12-06 15:27:38, Brian Swetland wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 12:50 PM, Pavel Machek <pavel at ucw.cz> wrote:
> >
> > While few people may know HTC Dream by its codename, it is better to
> > use name of released hardware in the sources.
>
> I still think that it'd be less pain for everyone to leave it as
> trout.  If you go by sales volume, the most known released hardware
> name is "Tmobile G1", some people know it as ADP1, and I believe it
> has sold under a few other names in other markets, but the software

Yes, operators brand their handsets. Unfortunately g1/adp1 names suck
-- for being alphabet soups -- and HTC Dream *is* name of the
hardware.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Dream

(and it is certainly better name than trout).

> has, since day one, been trout and changing that just makes it harder
> to merge other existing changes where we'd have to deal with renames
> as well.  The bootloader identifies it as "trout", and the userspace
> software stack's hardware-specific bits refer to trout.

Well, the longer we wait, the harder it will be to change the nema...

> If it really drives everyone crazy, we could do a big rename once it's
> all in and working, but right now I just don't see the benefit.

It is normally better to change such stuff before merging to
mainline. Splitting/cleaning patches is generally enough work that
little renaming should not be huge problem.
									Pavel