strange, spurious seeming vector exception on pxa300

Yeasah Pell yeasah at comrex.com
Tue Dec 1 17:13:56 EST 2009

Has anybody ever seen vector exceptions happen on an ARM (xscale,
pxa300) without 26-bit mode being used? I have some application and
kernel code which appears to work on most hardware, but we have at least
one board which causes periodic messages:

Unhandled fault: vector exception (0x010) at 0x412c8a90

(I also fudged the fault handler a bit to dump the SPSR: 0x80000010)

These messages correspond with a SEGV being sent to the application. The
code address is always the same, but the instruction in question is just
an ordinary load just like many others surrounding it. It's in a hot
path so it's being run successfully for thousands of iterations before
the problem manifests. Running in gdb and ignoring the SEGV causes the
application to continue normally, so apparently the load is successful
(the particular load operation in question is critical to proper
operation of the app)

The definition of a vector exception as I understand it seems to be at
odds with the context in which the exception is being generated (for one
thing the CPU's not in 26-bit mode, and for another thing the data
address is nowhere near the exception vectors), so it seems like it
might be spurious somehow.

If anybody has any theory how this might happen other than some kind of
hardware fault, please let me know! It's driving me absolutely nuts.

Thanks,
Yeasah Pell