Regression, bisected: meson-dwmac8b never loads, no ethernet

Geraldo Nascimento geraldogabriel at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 00:26:15 PDT 2021

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 4:22 AM Arnd Bergmann <arnd at arndb.de> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 1:43 AM Geraldo Nascimento
> <geraldogabriel at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Arnd,
> >
> > I'm sorry to inform you that commit
> > a0f480dc6546b9d97027bf7bc8145aad48ddad00 causes a regression in
> > 5.15-rc1 for the meson-dwmac8b ethernet driver.
> >
> > meson-dwmac8b never loads and libphy never probes stmmac
> >
> > I've bisected it over the weekend. The results follow.
> >
> > The bad commit mostly consists of qcom DT changes that shouldn't
> > trigger anything nasty like missing ethernet for meson (amlogic) but
> > there's the possibility the regression is caused by stmmac
> > modifications inside "Merge tag 'v5.14-rc3' into arm64-for-5.15
> > (2021-08-16 18:02:26 -0500)"
> >
> > This is just a guess as I haven't been able to pinpoint so far what
> > precisely causes the regression.
>
> I'm sure it's not this commit, looking at the contents of the tree
> before and after,
> it does not touch a single file that is used on your machine.
>
> Sometimes bisections are unreliable. I would suggest you re-test commit
>  a0f480dc6546b9 and the one before it, one of them will likely show a different
> result from what you had. You can then replay your bisection to find
> the actual cause.

Thanks, Arnd, I was a bit puzzled to say the least because that commit
seemed totally unrelated like you state yourself.

Like I have mentioned in my other email in reply to Neil and Martin,
issue seems to be gone at least for me in 5.15-rc2.

So unless it reappears I think there's little to do.

Thanks,
Geraldo Nascimento