#linux-amlogic IRC channel: move to Libera.Chat or OFTC?

Martin Blumenstingl martin.blumenstingl at googlemail.com
Wed May 26 11:25:27 PDT 2021

Hello,

today the #linux-amlogic channel on Freenode was taken over by the
Freenode network administrators: [0]
I believe it is because the channel subject contained "Also on Libera.Chat".

Due to the recent events going on with Freenode other (large)
communities are also leaving Freenode, for example:
- Arch Linux: migrating to Libera.Chat
- OpenWrt: migrating to OFTC
- panfrost and lima drivers: migrating to OFTC
- (many more)

So I think we have two options:
1. Moving to Libera.Chat
2. Moving to OFTC
3. Trying to get back our "old" channel on Freenode

The steps (as far as I can tell) for switching to a new network are:
- creating #linux-amlogic on the new network (already done by Neil on
Libera.Chat and OFTC)
- inviting the whitequark IRC logger to the channel on the new network
- updating the topic of the new channel to inform users that all
messages are logged and the logs are available publicly
- updating our wiki with the new IRC network: [1]

I am not sure which steps need to be taken to get our "old" channel on
Freenode back.

What do you think?

Personally I vote for option #1 or #2.
I have no strong preference on which network to choose.

Best regards,
Martin

[0] https://freenode.irclog.whitequark.org/linux-amlogic/2021-05-26
[1] http://linux-meson.com/