[RFC 0/2] Add support for Meson MX "SDIO" MMC driver

Martin Blumenstingl martin.blumenstingl at googlemail.com
Sat May 27 07:25:51 PDT 2017

Hi Daniel,

On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 4:48 AM, Daniel Drake <drake at endlessm.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 2:44 PM, Martin Blumenstingl
> <martin.blumenstingl at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> the code-names of the older (32-bit) SoCs (at least the ones which are
>> not too old) all start with Meson X (where X is a number: Meson6,
>> Meson8, Meson8b and Meson8m2), Amlogic's vendor code sometimes calls
>> these "MX" (or Meson MX)
>
> Just in case it helps you on any future adventures in the Amlogic
> vendor code: I think this is not quite right. I believe that MX
> specifically refers to Meson6 and no other SoC generation.
thanks for that hint - I guess that's due to the marketing name of the
Meson6 SoCs then (AML8726-MX). do you know if there's any codename
that includes the Meson6 and Meson8 (including Meson8b and Meson8m2)
families?

> That said, if both MesonX (==Meson6) and Meson8/Meson8b all share the
> same driver code, having this driver named "mx" makes sense to me,
> especially because it helps distinguish from the GX* chips which
> indeed have something rather different.
from what I could read in Amlogic's GPL kernel sources the MMC
controller IP is also used in Meson6 SoCs (and possibly even older
generations). that said, I don't have any Meson6 hardware, which is
why I didn't add the "amlogic,meson6-sdio" binding.
so I guess using the "mx" name here should be OK (nevertheless, I'll
make sure that I don't use "MX" for anything that's
Meson8/Meson8b/Meson8m2 specific)

Regards,
Martin