[RFC] gpio: about the need to manage irq mapping dynamically.

Grygorii Strashko grygorii.strashko at ti.com
Tue Jun 27 10:49:03 PDT 2017

On 06/22/2017 09:25 AM, Jerome Brunet wrote:
> On Wed, 2017-06-21 at 22:50 +0200, Linus Walleij wrote:
>>>
>>> Woahh, that's not what I meant. gpio_to_irq should stay. Getting rid of it
>>> would
>>> be a mess and it is a useful call.
>>>
>>> The gpio_irq_prepare is meant so that the consumer can tell the gpio driver
>>> it
>>> will want to get irq from a particular gpio at some point.
>>>
>>> IOW, it's the consumer saying to the gpio driver "please do whatever you
>>> need to
>>> do, if anything, so this gpio can generate an interrupt"
>>>
>>> This is a much simpler change. Using devm, all we need is to put a
>>> devm_gpio_irq_prepare(<gpio_num>) in the probe of the drivers using
>>> gpio_to_irq.
>>>
>>> Mandating call to gpio_irq_prepare before any call to gpio_to_irq will be
>>> fairly
>>> easy.
>>
>> So why can't we just return the IRQ from prepare() and be done with it
>
> We can return it here as well, it's actually a good idea. New drivers could just
> use that one if they are keeping track of the irq number.
>
>> instead of having two calls? (Plus a third eventual unprepare()).
>>
>> Clocks, regulators and godknowswhat is managed by two symmetrical
>> calls, so why shouldn't GPIO IRQs be?
>
> The approach is exactly the same as what we trying to follow in the irq
> framework:
>
> framework     | irq                 | gpio
> index         | hwirq               | gpio_num
> creation      | irq_create_mapping  | gpio_irq_prepare   ?
> removal       | irq_dispose_mapping | gpio_irq_unprepare ?
> (fast) lookup | irq_find_mapping    | gpio_to_irq
>
> We are going to have at lookup function somehow, why not expose it ?
>
> Another reason for keeping gpio_to_irq is that many existing drivers using the
> callback don't keep track of their irq number, just the gpio. For every irq
> operation, they call gpio_to_irq. Things like this:
>
> * irq_enable(gpio_to_irq(<gpio_num>))
> * irq_release(gpio_to_irq(<gpio_num>))
> * etc ...
>
> It's a bit lazy maybe, but I don't think there is anything utterly wrong with
> it.
>
> Getting rid of gpio_to_irq would mean reworking all those drivers so they keep
> track of their irq number. I think this would be a mess for a very little gain.
>
> Also, except for the 26 gpio drivers I have listed, the rest should already be
> implementing what qualify as a "lookup" function in gpio_to_irq. I don't think
> we should by modifying every single gpio driver when there is a solution to
> 'surgically' address the matter.
>
> The series would already affect a significant amount of drivers, I'm trying to
> keep it as simple an contained as possible.
>
> If that is OK with you, I could send an RFC implementing the idea but fixing
> only 1 gpio driver and 2 or 3 consumer. We would have actual code to discuss on,
> it might be easier.

I'd like to add my 5 cents here :)
1) "To create the mapping in the gpio_to_irq. Linus, you pointed out that this is not
 allowed as gpio_to_irq is callable in irq context, therefore it should not sleep.
 Actually 3 drivers [2] are calling gpio_to_irq in irq handlers."

It's not allowed to call gpio_to_irq() from IRQ handlers, as mappings should already exist at
that time and It might require to do sleepable calls to crate IRQ mappings and configure HW.

Drivers, pointed out in first e-mail, should use other APIs in their IRQ handlers:
drivers/gpio/gpio-ep93xx.c
^ direct call to ep93xx_gpio_to_irq()
* drivers/gpio/gpio-pxa.c
 ^ use irq_find_mapping()
* drivers/gpio/gpio-tegra.c
 ^ use irq_find_mapping()

Also note, IRQ mappings can be created as dynamically (each time  gpio_to_irq() is called) as
statically (in probe). The last approach is widely used in gpio drivers due to compatibility and
legacy reasons.

2) As per above I do not really understand why gpio_irq_prepare() is required.

3) As per problem description irq_dispose_mapping() equivalent for GPIO IRQs might be required,
but what is the real use-case? Modules reloading or unloading one module and loading another instead?
Usually GPIO and IRQ configuration is static and defined in DT, so IRQ mapping created by first call to
gpio_to_irq()/platform_get_irq()/of_irq_get() and any subsequent calls just re-use already created mapping.

--
regards,
-grygorii