[RFC 2/2] mmc: meson-mx-sdio: Add a driver for the Amlogic Meson8 and Meson8b SoCs

Martin Blumenstingl martin.blumenstingl at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 18 04:17:21 PDT 2017

Hi Ulf,

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 3:42 PM, Ulf Hansson <ulf.hansson at linaro.org> wrote:
> On 11 July 2017 at 23:23, Martin Blumenstingl
> <martin.blumenstingl at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Ulf,
>>
>> sorry for the delay, I've been pretty busy.
>> however, I'll have more time to work in this driver this and next week

>>> Sorry, I don't have an pointers.
>>>
>>> Anyway. If you do a big erase operation on an SD card, the card should
>>> signal busy on DAT0 for a rather long time.
>> erase operation = mount sd card; rm big_file.bin; sync ?
>> or is there some other way?
>
> There is tool called fstrim, maybe you can you that as well.
>
> Don't forget that the mount options of the fs also matters of what
> will happen for the so called discard operations (translates to erase
> in SD).
I conducted a series of tests:

(the system boots with / mounted read-only):
mount -o remount,rw,discard
dd if=/dev/zero of=test.bin bs=1M count=1k

the actual test:
rm test.bin; sync

here are the results:

without MMC_CAP_WAIT_WHILE_BUSY, with MESON_MX_SDIO_SEND_CHECK_DAT0_BUSY:
[ 98.891623] meson_mx_mmc_start_cmd: starting CMD38 with timeout = 33130
[ 99.341293] meson_mx_mmc_irq: CMD38 IRQS = 0x00000220 (timeout = 33125)

without MMC_CAP_WAIT_WHILE_BUSY, without MESON_MX_SDIO_SEND_CHECK_DAT0_BUSY:
[ 197.591441] meson_mx_mmc_start_cmd: starting CMD38 with timeout = 4000
[ 197.591446] meson_mx_mmc_irq: CMD38 IRQS = 0x00000220 (timeout = 4000)
[ 202.881495] meson_mx_mmc_start_cmd: starting CMD38 with timeout = 30250
[ 202.881501] meson_mx_mmc_irq: CMD38 IRQS = 0x00000220 (timeout = 30250)

(I think the first one is is some other delete command, the actual rm
is probably the second one)

with MMC_CAP_WAIT_WHILE_BUSY (mmc->max_busy_timeout = ~0;), with
MESON_MX_SDIO_SEND_CHECK_DAT0_BUSY:
[ 65.701441] meson_mx_mmc_start_cmd: starting CMD38 with timeout = 33125
[ 65.984235] meson_mx_mmc_irq: CMD38 IRQS = 0x00000220 (timeout = 33125)

so in all conditions CMD38 completes in less than 1 second
the card I'm using is a cheap "Intenso SDHC class 10" with 16GiB: [0]

an additional "fstrim /" didn't result in any CMD38 (because, just
like you said: the card is mounted with the discard flag)

>>> You could probably explore how long it takes for the card to respond
>>> under those circumstances, and try both with and without
>>> MESON_MX_SDIO_SEND_CHECK_DAT0_BUSY.
>> so I simply read the card status through sysfs? or would I need to get
>> some of this information from the controller?
>> I found that the IRQC register contains a few interesting bits:
>>     u32 sdio_force_data:6; /*[13:8]
>>         * Write operation: Data forced by software
>>         * Read operation: {CLK,CMD,DAT[3:0]}*/
>> I dumped these while transferring some data, the values seem to be
>> changing constantly (0x3f, 0x1f, 0x20, ...)
>> if I interpret those bits correctly then they are the status of the
>> corresponding pin
>
> Okay! So if the controller doesn't fully support HW busy detection,
> you should at least be able to implement the ->card_busy() host ops,
> which is used to poll the DAT0 line for busy detection.
only the DAT0 or DAT3:0?
the latter is what Amlogic does with their 8-bit bus capable drivers,
see [1] and [2]
(meson-gx-mmc.c is the upstream variant of [2] - where we don't
implement .card_busy or MMC_CAP_WAIT_WHILE_BUSY though)

>>> Of course you also need to try with and without
>>> MMC_CAP_WAIT_WHILE_BUSY, as the core may sometimes convert R1B to R1
>> so MESON_MX_SDIO_SEND_CHECK_DAT0_BUSY + MMC_CAP_WAIT_WHILE_BUSY should
>> go together?
>> and MESON_MX_SDIO_SEND_CHECK_DAT0_BUSY should not be set when
>> MMC_CAP_WAIT_WHILE_BUSY isn't?
>
> Yeah, something like that.
>
> So if you controller fully supports HW busy detection, the driver
> should set MMC_CAP_WAIT_WHILE_BUSY and then act accordingly when R1B
could you please have a look at my test results above and let me know
whether I should do more tests or which implementation you'd prefer
(from what I understood so far: if our hardware doesn't support
MMC_CAP_WAIT_WHILE_BUSY then I should implement .card_busy - but what
about MESON_MX_SDIO_SEND_CHECK_DAT0_BUSY then)?

Regards,
Martin

[0] http://intenso.de/multimedia/produktblatt/1343573205_en.pdf
[1] https://github.com/endlessm/linux-meson/blob/876ccc6ef48f406d8307dd741609c089e6e7e242/drivers/amlogic/mmc/aml_sdhc_m8.c#L2187