dwc3: add support for hardware with multiple ports on USB2 hub enabled

Martin Blumenstingl martin.blumenstingl at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 9 04:14:00 PST 2017

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 12:55 PM, Felipe Balbi
<felipe.balbi at linux.intel.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Martin Blumenstingl <martin.blumenstingl at googlemail.com> writes:
>> On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 12:18 PM, Felipe Balbi
>> <felipe.balbi at linux.intel.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> this is the roothub :-)
>> agreed :)

>> this is the one I wanted to point out: in this case there are 3 ports
>> on the (USB2) roothub.
>> the SoC has one USB2 for each of these ports, and all 3 PHYs have to
>> be initialized to get USB working (this seems to be my main issue).

>>> The fact that is claims that it has "no ports" hints at quirk caused,
>>> likely, by poor RTL edits. coreConsultant should make sure that
>>> MAX_PORTS (in xHCI HCC_PARAMS* register set) was set to correct value,
>>> but somehow that field is set to 0 in one of your Amlogic SoC.
>> yes, it's a USB2-only configuration (so there are no USB3 ports on the
>> internal roothub)
>
> aha, makes sense.

> true. But even so, that PHY handle is only needed for devices which
> weren't properly configured at coreConsultant time.
I don't understand that - there are two separate modules involved
here: 1. the dwc3 IP block 2. Amlogic's own USB2 PHYs (they did not
choose Synopsys DesignWare PHYs)
(some background info: the USB2 PHYs are in "reset mode" by default)
So even if the dwc3 IP block is configured correctly at coreConsultant
time we still need to configure the PHYs. From "USB controller driver"
(could be dwc3, or some generic hcd.c code, etc.) this means that
phy_init() and phy_power_on() needs to be called for each of the three
"Amlogic USB2 PHYs". the current code however only calls these for the
first PHY (leaving the others in reset mode = disabled).

>>> no, it's done for peripheral configuration of dwc3. Look at the code
>>> more carefully:
>> sorry for the confusion - the word "reset" should be "configuration".
>> The function I am looking at is dwc3_phy_setup(): apart from toggling
>> some "errata bits" it also configures the PHY modes. I am wondering if
>> I need to do this setup (DWC3_GUSB2PHYCFG_ULPI_UTMI and
>> DWC3_GUSB2PHYCFG_PHYIF_MASK related bits) not only for the *first*
>> port ("DWC3_GUSB2PHYCFG(0)") but also for the "other" ports (index 1
>> and 2 in above case, where the roothub has 3 ports)
>
> Ideally, that should've been set at coreConsultant (RTL instantiation)
> time. If it wasn't, then we need to add a quirk for these SoCs
> accordingly. We _do_ need documentation that this quirk is, indeed,
> needed.
That is an explanation I'm fine with: we trust the (default) values
which are in hardware until we have documentation that we need a
quirk. I do not have access to Amlogic's documentation so I can't
provide that - but we can probably leave it as it is as it "worked for
me".