Amlogic Meson GXL/GXM USB support (dwc2 and dwc3)

Martin Blumenstingl martin.blumenstingl at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 24 09:42:25 PST 2016

Hello,

currently I am trying to get the USB controllers on the Amlogic Meson
GXL SoCs working: there is one dwc2 and dwc3 controller each.

The SoC itself provides 3x USB2 PHYs and 1x USB3 PHY.
I wrote drivers for both of them based on the vendor kernel, see [0]
The PHY registers of the USB2 PHYs seem to be identical, regardless of
whether they are connected to dwc2 or dwc3.
The USB3 PHY also takes care of the OTG interrupts (to switch between
host and device) and seems to inform the USB2 PHY about mode-changes.
USB3 seems to be disabled in the dwc3 configuration, meaning it
provides only high-speed support.

The dwc3 core fails to initialize currently due to some DMA issues
which will be fixed in Linux v4.10 - the corresponding patchset can be
found here: [1]
With these patches applied we get the dwc3 controller to initialize:
xhci-hcd xhci-hcd.0.auto: xHCI Host Controller
xhci-hcd xhci-hcd.0.auto: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
xhci-hcd xhci-hcd.0.auto: hcc params 0x0228f664 hci version 0x100
quirks 0x00010010
xhci-hcd xhci-hcd.0.auto: irq 20, io mem 0xc9000000
hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 1-0:1.0: 3 ports detected
xhci-hcd xhci-hcd.0.auto: xHCI Host Controller
xhci-hcd xhci-hcd.0.auto: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
usb usb2: We don't know the algorithms for LPM for this host, disabling LPM.
hub 2-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 2-0:1.0: config failed, hub doesn't have any ports! (err -19)
(the last message seems fine, there are probably no USB3 ports enabled
in the dwc3 hardware configuration)

strange fact #1: there are 3 USB2 PHYs enabled in the dwc3 core
(regdump from the vendor kernel - a full version is attached):
GUSB2PHYCFG(0) = 0x40102500
GUSB2PHYCFG(1) = 0x40102540
GUSB2PHYCFG(2) = 0x40102540
(this explains the "hub 1-0:1.0: 3 ports detected" message on my GXM
board - other SoCs seem to have a different number of ports available
based on the vendor sources, GXL seem to have 2 ports, while "TXL"
seems to have 4 ports).

I tried enabling all available PHYs in the SoC and giving
GUSB2PHYCFG(1 and 2) the same tickle that is currently done in
dwc3_phy_setup() for GUSB2PHYCFG(0).
The LED on my thumb drive flashes when I plug it into the dwc3 port,
but I don't get any interrupts and the kernel does not recognize any
new USB device.

For the dwc2 controller I am probably missing a clock somewhere,
because it's reporting:
dwc2 c9100000.usb: Configuration mismatch. dr_mode forced to device
dwc2 c9100000.usb: dwc2_core_reset() HANG! Soft Reset GRSTCTL=80000001
dwc2 c9100000.usb: Specified GNPTXFDEP=1024 > 768
dwc2 c9100000.usb: EPs: 7, dedicated fifos, 712 entries in SPRAM
I must admit that I have been focusing on the dwc3 controller so far,
so I don't have any more information here.

if any of these problems sound familiar to you or if you have any
advice on what I could experiment with: please don't hesitate and let
me know!
I'll also keep continue looking into this, because it's not unlikely
that I'm running into a platform specific issue.

Regards,
Martin

[0] https://github.com/xdarklight/linux/commits/meson-gx-integration-4.10-20161123
[1] http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=147938307209685&w=2