stmmac/RTL8211F/Meson GXBB: TX throughput problems

André Roth neolynx at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 10:44:05 PST 2016

Hi all,

> I checked again the kernel
> at https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/tree/ odroidc2-3.14.y. The
> version you mention (3.14.65-73) seems to be:
> sha1: c75d5f4d1516cdd86d90a9d1c565bb0ed9251036 tag: jenkins-deb s905
> kernel-73

I downloaded the prebuilt image from hardkernel, I did not build the
kernel myself. but hardkernel has an earlier release of the same kernel
version, which works fine too. I assume they would have committed the
change in the newer version..

> In this particular version, both realtek drivers:
> - drivers/net/phy/realtek.c
> - drivers/amlogic/ethernet/phy/am_realtek.c
>
> have the hack to disable 1000M advertisement. I don't understand how
> it possible for you to have 1000Base-T Full Duplex with this, maybe
> I'm missing something here ?

that's what I don't understand as well...

the patched kernel shows the following:

$ uname -a
Linux T-06 4.9.0-rc4+ #21 SMP PREEMPT Sun Nov 13 12:07:19 UTC 2016

$ sudo ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: No
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: No
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                             100baseT/Half
100baseT/Full 1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
        Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
        Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 1000Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: MII
        PHYAD: 0
        Transceiver: external
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: ug
        Wake-on: d
        Current message level: 0x0000003f (63)
                               drv probe link timer ifdown ifup
        Link detected: yes

$ sudo ethtool --show-eee eth0
EEE Settings for eth0:
        EEE status: disabled
        Tx LPI: disabled
        Supported EEE link modes:  100baseT/Full
                                   1000baseT/Full
        Advertised EEE link modes:  100baseT/Full
        Link partner advertised EEE link modes:  100baseT/Full
                                                 1000baseT/Full

can it be that "EEE link modes" and the "normal" link modes are two
different things ?

> If you did compile the kernel yourself, could you check the 2 file
> mentioned above ? Just to be sure there was no patch applied at the
> last minute, which would not show up in the git history of
> hardkernel ?

I cannot check this easily at the moment..

Regards,

 André