Recursive mounts with kAFS, but not with OpenAFS

Jan Henrik Sylvester jan.henrik.sylvester at uni-hamburg.de
Fri May 3 03:20:20 PDT 2024

Hello,

I hope this is the correct forum to ask and I do not have to be
subscribed to the list.

kAFS and OpenAFS behave differently if there are recursive mounts.
Should one of the behaviors be considered a bug?

For each users' home directory, we (uni-hamburg.de) create a mount point
of its respective backup volume AFSBAK directly below the home directory
itself. That way ~/AFSBAK is a snapshot from the backup of last night
for ~ and the users can find lost files themselves.

That was never a problem with OpenAFS, because ~/AFSBAK/AFSBAK is
invalid (No such device). Now I am evaluating kAFS for our clients (long
term plan, now triggered by the fact that there is no OpenAFS for Ubuntu
24.04, yet) and a simple execution of find on a home directory had a
machine hang by the oom-killer killing vital system processes, because
kAFS can go more than a 1000 levels recursively into
~/AFSBAK/AFSBAK/AFSBAK...

The volume user is mounted to /afs/math.uni-hamburg.de/users/area/user
and user.backup is mounted to
/afs/math.uni-hamburg.de/users/area/user/AFSBAK. Should
/afs/math.uni-hamburg.de/users/area/user/AFSBAK/AFSBAK automatically be
a mount point?

Thanks,
Jan Henrik